Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

Quick Metamorphosis

metamorphosis |ˌmetəˈmôrfəsəs|noun ( pl. -phoses |-fəˌsēz|) Zoology• change of the form or nature of a thing or person into acompletely different one, by natural or supernatural means his metamorphosis from presidential candidate to talk-show host.
It's 6:30 on Friday and I have already completed an item on my weekend to-do list: Transform a side table that is worn, torn, and somehow managed to get covered in more than a few cup rings.  
I got this table from my mom and dad.  I know it's some kind of family piece but as you can see, it was not well taken care of while it sat in the basement mildewing.  I took it off of their hands knowing one day I would have time to spruce it up, making it presentable again.



This is such a cute piece with the detail on the front and the curvy legs.  I decided to paint everything but the top a "Napa Red."  I didn't prime it because I wanted the color to blend with the wood, making it appear to be a deep mahogany and not the bright crimson it would have been on top of white primer.  I applied one coat, then when almost dry, brushed some "Barn Red" on top leaving the brush stroke details.  For the top I applied a coat of Weathered Wood, then painted a creamy "Lemon Yellow" on top allowing the original wood to crackle through.  The light top, dark bottom (and vice versa) is a look I've been seeing a lot lately.  I like the idea and I think it turned out nicely here.



When it was finished I put it back in place with an old oval mirror (another wonderful piece given to me by Kaelan's mom that was found in a neighbors pile of junk) with a glass candle globe on top.  My basket of yarn and knitting needles work perfectly on the second tier (now if I can just get the hang of knitting).




  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment