Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Art

art 1 |ärt|nounthe expression or application of human creative skill and imagination,typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producingworks to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional powerthe art of the Renaissance great art is concerned with moral imperfections she studied art in Paris.• works produced by such skill and imagination his collection of modern art an exhibition of Tibetan art [as adj. an art critic.• creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture she's good at art.( the arts) the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance the visual arts [in sing. the art of photography.( arts) subjects of study primarily concerned with the processes and products of human creativity and social life, such as languages, literature, and history (as contrasted with scientific or technical subjects) the belief that the arts and sciences were incompatible the Faculty of Arts.

I found some old Prisma Colors in my attic a few days ago-  So, I pulled up a recently snapped picture of Dan at the beach and decided to see what I could do.  After my hand-me-down dining room table was sufficiently covered in chalk dust and the pads of my fingers blackened, I realized I'd created a loosely interpreted version of the original.  




I took an art class for teachers in college.  Every few weeks we worked in a different medium, creating projects that early childhood students could make.  At the end of the semester we compiled a portfolio with all our works.  While the portfolio sits on my desk at work, I pulled one piece out several years ago and framed it.  The assignment from what I remember was to find a picture from a magazine and then recreate it on paper using pastels and watercolors.



Painted my junior year in college, this piece started out as a gift for my brother whose enormous mantle was my inspiration.  The canvas measures in around 30 x 36 and seemed gargantuan when it was blank. I can't remember the original vision I had-  what I do remember is that it was nothing like the final product.  I stood in the sunlit kitchen of my college house brushing stroke after stroke of paint until it finally transformed itself.  It wound up not being a gift for my brother-  it has since hung in many a room in my different houses over the years.  It has most recently taken up residence on a wall in Dan's living room where it looks quite at home.









No comments:

Post a Comment